portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sculpting eyes/// lip lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamara

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: sculpting eyes/// lip lines Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a question about sculpting eyes and what you all thought about adding lines inside the iris to mimic the shading/lines that real eyes have.
This would be on eyes that aren't scooped out. It's the type of eye treatment where there is a circle drawn around the iris and a highlight carved out around the pupil.

I've been reviewing Heidi's tutorial and looking at "Mary". It lookes like maybe lines are incised in the eye but I can't tell for sure from the pictures.

Also, don't you all think that adding a deeper line on the edges of the lip makes the lips appear of black ethnicity? I think I'm going to tone down my lips on my lady because I refined and deepened that line and all of a sudden she changed to being black.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tamara
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tamara,
Doing the irises like you suggest rather than scooping them out works really well for light eyes. You can add the iris detail or not and either choose to scoop out the iris, or draw a semi-circle around it, leaving a highlight. Seems like I make eyes differently every time I make a new bust and it's good to experiment.
Here are the mary eyes. Looks like I did an outline and scooped a semi circle. Here is a bela eye, but that one is sloppy because the eyes will be cut out of that one and replaced with glass. If I'd left them clay, I would have cleaned up the lines, making them irregular like a starburst and then just used an embossing tool to punch in a pupil.

About the lips - generally, the more full a persons lips are, the deeper that outer line since there is more flesh protruding. On thin lips, there is just a faint line. White people generally don't have as full lips, so keep in mind that the deeper you go with that line, the fuller the lips appear (thus the race change). In these examples, this white man has a thin upper lip and full lower lip (thus a fairly prominent line) - the black woman has very full lips, both upper and lower and the entire mouth appears outlined.

http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Tamara

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Heidi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions and post those pictures. That one of the bela eye up close allows me to see the lines that I was thinking about doing. I just wanted to kind of see what you thought of doing it that way.

Re: lips. That's good to know that the fuller the lips the more the line around the edges. My lady does have full lips put their not really large like some Black lips are. So I'll definitely take that line and soften it a lot. The books I have just seem to show to put that line in as a light catching mechanism. But I think it needs to be very understated and not deep on lips that aren't really big.

Thanks for your help. Smile I love referrring to your e-book when I need to for reference. It stays in my lap top.

Tamara
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s one more eye I thought I would add to this old topic because I used an eye treatment a little different than usual.
This is from a bust I am currently working on of an elderly woman. At my clients’ request, I gave her both upper and lower lashes (something I never do). I have to be careful about making them too thin or there would be problems with the bronze casting. What’s interesting about this woman’s eyes is that she has brown eyes with a light blue ring around the outside of the iris. I indicated the color variation with different depths of rings. Shallow for the blue, deep for the brown, and even deeper for the pupil.

http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: