portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Substitute for sonite wax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Prevost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Substitute for sonite wax Reply with quote

I am about to do the mother mold for a sculpt using Smooth On's Plasti Paste. They suggest using sonite wax to cover the silicone, then a release agent. I was wondering if another type of paste wax or even vaseline might be substituted?
Thanks

Lee Prevost
Heidi Maiers
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've used plasti-paste from smooth on and I don't recall reading that a layer of wax is needed. I can see the need for the extra layer on polyurethane rubber, but not on silicone. The plasti paste doesn't stick to it (except the vaccum effect) and all I've ever used is a light spraying of release. I can see where wax would be a good thing to add between the sections of plasti paste though (seams) - that stuff really sticks to itself and is nearly impossible to cut apart if sections happen to bond. I usually secured layers of plastic wrap around the edges to keep them from touching as I put on the next section.
http://portrait-sculpture.com/CoffeeFund.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: