portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mold-making & Casting Tips wanted for plasticene piece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Work in Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Michaels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Mold-making & Casting Tips wanted for plasticene piece Reply with quote

Piece in progress: Horus. Medium: Plasticene & Wax. Armature is mostly .5 inch PVC. Dimensions: 27 x 21 19 inches. Approx weight: 45 - 50 lb.

As shown, one hand is plasticene, the other wax. I have made a wax version of the plasticene hand, just haven't attached it,yet.

I'm looking for guidance on casting, in particular. This is the largest piece I've made... and it will require a base I've yet to design. I've cast multiple smaller pieces in years past - in Forton - but this one exceeds my current knowledge base.

I would also like to know:

1) If there is a particular type of oil that could be used to smooth / work the surface of plasticene?
2) What sorts of rubber mold can I use that won't react with the plasticene?
3) Considering the size and complexity of the piece, would I be better off getting a professional to creat the mold and cast it? I'm thinking resin or forton; bronze is likely too costly. Any cost range estimates? Please indicate the region - as I'm sure rates vary by area.
4) Open to any other tips or comments you may wish to offer.

Alison Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) If there is a particular type of oil that could be used to smooth / work the surface of plasticene?
2) What sorts of rubber mold can I use that won't react with the plasticene?
3) Considering the size and complexity of the piece, would I be better off getting a professional to creat the mold and cast it? I'm thinking resin or forton; bronze is likely too costly. Any cost range estimates? Please indicate the region - as I'm sure rates vary by area.
4) Open to any other tips or comments you may wish to offer.

1. Brian Booth Craig uses a citrus based degreaser to smooth Chavant. You can also use a few other solvents, but the citrus based ones are non-toxic and evaporate eventually. He has some videos posted on his Instagram that show how he uses it.

2. It depends on what clay you are using. Non-sulphur based clays will not react with silicone, but sulphur will inhibit silicone cure, so you would have to seal the surface with a spray sealant (Krylon Clear works well) first.

3. This is a more complex mold. You would need to remove the hands and cast them separately. While you could probably do it, there is a learning curve.

I know this is rather late, so I hope that helps you out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Work in Progress All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: