portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index portrait-sculpture.com
A site provided for professional portrait and figurative sculptors, as well as serious students

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Register(DISABLED)Register(DISABLED) 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuart - Madame Tussauds hardware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Kim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Stuart - Madame Tussauds hardware Reply with quote

Hi Stuart, I was wondering what the purpose of the device is that this head sculpt is mounted on (the red box with the dial).

Last edited by David Kim on Sat May 14, 2016 11:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David!
It is a small piece of engineering which allows the head to be tilted in which ever direction. It was invented by Jim Mathieson originally.

The originals were made by us in the studio using a regular Mini (that is a Mini car) jack for changing wheels, and pieces of metal tubing. I have a drawing somewhere. You can make one yourself.
I'll try and find it.
Stuart
David Kim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stuart! It sounds like this device allows you to match the angle of your sculpture to whatever photographic reference you have of said person? If so, that sounds very useful. Yes, I would very much appreciate it if you could find that drawing! I would like to make one!
Stuart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I've got it somewhere.......will look again!
S
Lori

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever find those plans, Stuart?

I also noticed that many of the Tussauds sculptors were using the same slender wood tool and wondered if anyone knew what it was and where to find!

Lori Kiplinger Pandy
www.kiplingerpandy.com
http://lorikiplingerpandy.blogspot.com/
Tamara

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lori,

I would be interested to know the answer to those questions also. We can always make our own wood tools or thin down a similar tool with sanding. I've made small tools out of a chunk of strong quality, tight grained wood.

Nice to see you here on the forum. This forum is quiet but we all know where to go to say hi again or look for that special thread that we learned so much from.

~Tamara
Lori

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tamara, yes - very quiet around here! I came back to the form to revisit some of the information, especially the exchanges about enlarging to life-size and armature building as I may have a life-size commission coming up.

Sadly found that all that wonderful info no long has photos since Photobucket was hosting them it is now a fee site - so the photos are gone...Bummer!

Lori Kiplinger Pandy
www.kiplingerpandy.com
http://lorikiplingerpandy.blogspot.com/
Tamara

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good! Nice of Photobucket to do that! Many of us used that image hosting site. I printed out some of those key threads on enlarging to life-size a couple years ago as I didn't want to lose the valuable info for some reason. You might just ask the author of the thread to send you the photos. I am sure they would be happy to share the info again. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    portrait-sculpture.com Forum Index -> Technical Discussion All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: